You might be the owner or just a peep visiting the website. Both ways, you are looking at a dead end-404. Here are some of the ways you can clear the 404 error from appearing.
What is 404 Error?
The HTTP 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server. It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly. Put simply, a 404 Not Found Error means that the webpage simply does not exist with the URL entered.
How to fix 404 Error?Here are some simple ways which can help you solve most of the problems.
- Refresh page: The first thing you should do is simply refresh. You can press Ctrl+F5 to force a refresh on the page. The error may appear just because the page wouldn’t load.
- Check the URL: Make sure that the URL inputted correctly. This includes spelling of the URL, correct slashes, file extension of the page and so forth. For example, if your are visiting "www.examplesite.com/a/b" to get 404 error, you can go back a step as "www.examplesite.com/a" and from there getting there to your page will be easy.
- Clear browser’s cache and cookies: If you are able to visit the page from another device, such as your phone, clearing the cache and cookies will usually solve the problem.
- Scan for Malware: There are some malware files that will force a 404 Error on websites. It’s imperative to make sure your computer is clean and not compromised.
If you are not able to solve your problem yet, these may help.
- Turn off Flash: The 404 error might be due to some flash content loading to dead end. Turning off flash content through your website may help.
- Change DNS server used by your computer but usually only if an entire website is giving you a 404 error, especially if the website is available to those on other networks (e.g. your mobile phone network or a friend in another city).
- Make use of Search Engine: Search for the contents along with the website name which may lead to the new link instead of the dead link.
You might not always be able to solve these problems but these steps may help you a bit! If you have something that you thing that may help, please comment and I'll surely update the post!
Sources: About tech, Prestashop, Google Support